Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in Hong Kong is looking for a talent with a strong background in managing public communications and a desire to further the organisation’s aims to fill the following position based in Hong Kong:
Director of Communications
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Communications is a member of the Management Team of MSF-HK. S/he is responsible for raising the profile, reputation and influence of the organisation and its causes amongst audiences in Hong Kong, Taiwan, mainland China and Southeast Asia via increasingly diverse media in support of MSF’s representation, advocacy, recruitment, fundraising and operational activities. The major responsibilities of this position are to:
- Define, develop, manage and evaluate strategic communications plans and approaches in Hong Kong, Taiwan, mainland China and the Southeast Asian region in support of the development of MSF’s positioning there.
- Ensure that awareness is raised and accurate, transparent and timely information on MSF’s activities worldwide, as well as our humanitarian principles and concerns, are delivered to those audiences.
- Ensure the efficient functioning of the Communications Department and its cross-functional support activities, defining and managing the budget of the Department, and assuring coherence between different units of the extended Department.
- Protect and enhance the reputation of the organisation as the principle point of reference in crisis communications, as well as the more routine signing-off of content in key campaigns and publications. Protect the MSF trademark in the region.
- Lead, manage and coach all staff under the Communication Department and where functionally linked to deliver their agreed objectives within the defined guidelines, policies and regulations
- Act as the media spokesperson of MSF-HK, when delegated by the Executive Director, representing the organization to the public
- Represent MSF-HK in all communications-related matters internally within the MSF movement; contribute and actively engage in the strategic Communications platforms in the Operational Centre of Brussels and the wider movement
- Serve as a member of the Management Team in the strategic decision making of the office as a whole
The Ideal Candidate
- University graduate with substantial professional experience in journalism, NGO communications or public affairs/relations
- At least 7 years’ management experience in a relevant field and 2 years’ experience in an NGO
- Good knowledge of local, regional and international media in the Asia region, with strong grasp of international affairs
- Demonstrable awareness of developments in new communications platforms / technologies
- Proven ability to work independently, but also a good team player with strong leadership skills
- Excellent verbal communications and writing skills in English, with similar abilities in Cantonese/Mandarin a major asset
- Willing to work flexible hours and travel internationally, including to MSF field projects
- Able to work under pressure and respect deadlines
- Committed to the aims and values of Médecins Sans Frontières
*The candidate is expected to be on board in mid-April 2018.
How to Apply?
Please send your motivation letter and full resume with expected salary and date of earliest availability by e-mail to email@example.com on or before 8 December 2017. Applicants not invited for interview within 8 weeks may consider their applications unsuccessful. All information collected will be used for recruitment purpose only and will be treated in strict confidence.