Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. We offer assistance to people based on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF has been in Taiwan, officially registered as Representation Office since 2016 registered under Taiwan Ministry of Interior. MSF Taiwan Representation Office is a branch office sponsored by MSF Hong Kong and under the full governance of MSF Hong Kong. The MSF Foundation in Taiwan was fully registered in April 2019 as a healthcare foundation under the Ministry of Health and Welfare. The developments in Taiwan up to now have been under the mandate of IGA (2014 mandate) with the prime objective to optimize the fundraising potential of the local market so as to echo with the strategic goal of the Movement: Geographic and Funding Diversification. Currently there are no operational activities in Taiwan.
We have the following vacancy and are looking for talented individuals with a strong desire to contribute to humanitarian work and commit to the aims and values of MSF to join and lead our team in Taiwan.
MSF Taiwan Foundation Director is responsible for leading MSF Taiwan in accomplishing its social mission (refer to MSF 2014 IGA mandate) of significantly participating in, and contributing to, the effective provision of medical humanitarian assistance to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters, or exclusion from health care, in accordance with the MSF Charter. Through establishing a clear vision and strategic planning, the Foundation Director ensures that MSF Taiwan adheres to MSF Hong Kong and the movement’s core values and principles, and attains the goals and objectives as agreed upon by MSF Hong Kong.
- Be the Legal Representative of MSF Taiwan, serve and represent regularly as a spokesperson advocating for MSF’s positions and interests, within Taiwan, and to establish necessary networks with key stakeholders within the movement and in Taiwan (media, donors, NGO, policy makers, government etc.);
- Be responsible for development, obtaining and implementation of annual and multi-year plans (actions and budgets) and their review, particularly the development of 2020 MSF Taiwan annual plan and oversee the delivery of activities; also the design of MSF Taiwan’s vision and development of MSF Taiwan Strategic plan 2021-2024, under the supervision of MSF HK Executive Director in synergy with MSF Hong Kong, Operational Center Brussels (OCB) and the international MSF movement;
- Lead the delivery of annual plans through managing a team of staff and volunteers, and ensuring the effective operation of the office within the MSF HK and MSF TW’s governance framework (MoU);
- In compliance with Taiwan’s laws and regulations, as well as MSF’s core values and principles, lead and supervise the management team, composing of Finance/Administration/ Human Resources and office support (ICT), Communications and Fundraising, in defining both the departments’ and foundation’s objectives, priorities, organisational policies, and roles and responsibilities for each department; ensuring and promoting the effective, efficient, and ethical management of MSF Taiwan in terms of financial and human resources, as well as developing and upholding the credibility and reputation of MSF’s medical humanitarian work in Taiwan; and
- Revise objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions.
- Minimum 15 years of working experience, with at least 5 years in MSF, preferably extensive operation centre and emergency setting experience
- Significant senior managerial experience, including managing staff, directing similar organization and/or working at senior level in a large NGO
- A deep understanding of the humanitarian field, and a strong commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
- Evidence of experience in and knowledge of Asia, as well as a good reading of Asian, and especially Chinese, culture
- An enabler and facilitator with a commitment to working consensually and collaboratively in order to develop and achieve MSF Hong Kong’s goals and objectives
- Proven experience in fiscal and budget management
- Ability to foster a creative, professional, collegial, open-door management culture; to empower staff members and encourage staff to challenge assumptions
- Strong sense of initiative
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively within Asia, to Europe and elsewhere
- Fluent in English with excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- French and Chinese are considered an asset
How to apply?
Please apply with a letter of motivation and full resume (both in English), with expected salary and date of earliest availability by e-mail to [email protected] by 16th August 2019. Applicants not invited for interview within 6 weeks may consider their applications unsuccessful. All information collected is solely for recruitment purpose and will be treated in strict confidence.