Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international humanitarian organization that provides impartial medical care to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from health care in over 70 countries. We welcome candidates who bring a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to join us in working toward MSF’s common mission.
Deputy Director of Communications
Reporting to the Director of Communications, incumbent of this position will assist in establishing long-term goals and strategies on communications and public positioning to deliver impact to varying objectives of MSF HK’s core work on raising awareness, representation, fundraising and recruitment in Hong Kong. The position is principal in the integration of MSF HK communications activity plans aimed at media, digital communications, and public events, including crisis or issue management coordination.
The Principal Accountabilities are highlighted below:
- Synchronize MSF Hong Kong public communications strategies in HK to ensure that MSF’s representation is accurate and MSF activities and humanitarian concerns are delivered to audiences on a timely, transparent and accurate manner and is mutually supportive and coherent across departments
- Manage preparedness and lead communications strategies on a broad range of complex issues, including crisis communications
- Undertake stakeholders’ analysis on a regular basis (power, resources, and key actors) seeking to provide a better understanding of local dynamics and context to increase acceptance, influence and help improve MSF HK overall home society engagement
- Anticipate external contextual changes and internal dynamics to appropriately develop and enhance the public narrative of MSF on a broad range of complex and thematic issues
- Drive the internal communications strategies and coordination for complex issues and public positioning
- Assist the Director of Communications in routine sign-off of content in key campaigns and publications within the organisation
- Coach and mentor relevant human resources in the department
- Delegated to be one of the key spokespersons for media interviews in Hong Kong when necessary
- Ensure up to date assessment and evaluation of external context and the relevance of MSF communications tools to ensure that MSF representatives are briefed and prepared when engaging key stakeholders in the HK community
- In the absence of the Director of Communications, the Deputy acts as interim of the department and will represent the department at the Management Team as well as to relevant movement-wide platforms that the Director is involved and a member of.
The Ideal Candidate
- University degree with minimum 10 years’ experience in the field of journalism and/or public relations, with at least five of those in a managerial/supervisory capacity
- Proven network amongst regional and local media and good analysis of media landscape
- Strong background in managing or handling crisis communications or sufficient experience with advocacy and networking
- Excellent writing skills and proven ability to convey complex messages to various audiences
- Strong understanding and network within the Hong Kong local community – amongst media, NGOs and civil society – and very good knowledge of regional dynamics and world affairs
- Very good command of both spoken and written English and Cantonese. In addition, Mandarin is also desirable.
- Collaborative, collected, diplomatic and enjoys working under pressure
- Ability to make quick decisions under stress, sometimes with only partial information about a developing crisis
- Problem solver and result-oriented
- Ability to work independently but also a good team player
- Willing to work overtime and/or on weekends/public holidays when situation calls for it
- Commitment to the aims and values of Médecins Sans Frontières
How to apply?
MSF Hong Kong will offer a remuneration package of 12 months basic salary benchmarked in INGO with no discretionary bonus. Interested parties, please send your letter of motivation, full resume, expected salary and date of earliest availability by e-mail to [email protected] by 4 December 2020. All information collected is solely for recruitment purpose and will be treated in strict confidence. Please read the “Personal Information Collection Statement” before providing any personal data to Médecins Sans Frontières (HK) Limited.